Jeffrey C. Chancas
Jeffrey C. Chancas handles all aspects of real estate litigation in State and Federal courts and agencies. His specialization includes: representation of landlords, including co-op and condo boards, receivers and trustees with respect to real estate issues in bankruptcy court; representation of lenders, borrowers, cooperative corporations, condominium associations and receivers in foreclosure actions; and, representation of landlords and management companies in the context of human rights complaints brought by tenants and employees and complaints brought under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Mr. Chancas serves on the New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section Executive Committee and as Co-chair of the New York State Bar Association International Law and Practice Section Committee on the United Nations and Other International Organizations. He has lectured on bankruptcy law as it relates to real estate issues at continuing legal education seminars for the American Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association and Lorman Education Services and on “Complying with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act” at the New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section Summer Meeting in Paris in 2000. From 1995 to 2001, he was a guest lecturer at the New York University School of Continuing and Professional Studies, on the topics of bankruptcy law, foreclosure and state civil rights disputes, for the courses “Law For Property Managers” and “Introduction to Landlord-Tenant Law.”
Mr. Chancas authored the original edition of Chapter 20: “Bankruptcy Implications” of Landlord and Tenant Practice in New York (West Group), a 157-page analysis of bankruptcy law, including practice forms, focused on Bankruptcy Code Sections relating to landlord and tenant and leasehold issues.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D. – 1979
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A. (with honors) – 1975
- New York – 1980
- United States Supreme Court – 1998
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District – 1983
- U.S. District Court, Southern District- 1983
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers’ Association
- August 8, 2015 – Jeffrey Chancas’ article ” The effect of bankruptcy code on commercial leases (Part 2)”, was published in New York Real Estate Journal.
- July 28, 2015 – Jeffrey Chancas’ article, “What is the effect of bankruptcy code on commercial leases when a tenant files for bankruptcy (Part 1)?” was published in the Question of the Month section of today’s New York Real Estate Journal. This is part 1 of a 2 part article.