Eric M. Goidel
Eric M. Goidel, a Senior Partner of the Firm, is recognized as one of the leading attorneys in the area of cooperative/condominium law and is responsible for overseeing the Firm’s ever growing Cooperative/Condominium Division. He also heads the Firm’s sophisticated real estate/commercial leasing practice which handles shopping centers, office buildings, apartment buildings, hotels, single family homes, condos, coops, development rights, 1031 exchanges and sale lease backs.
Mr. Goidel is the founder and President of Director Protector™, a revolutionary company within the law firm providing proactive legal advice to cooperative boards of directors and condominium boards of managers.
He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Federation of New York Housing Cooperatives as well as a member of the New York Association of the Realty Managers. Mr. Goidel frequently lectures before the Rent Stabilization Association and has taught as a CLE instructor and at the Queens College Paralegal Program. He is part of the Lorman Education Services faculty.
Mr. Goidel is an avid triathlete and in connection with his racing raises donations for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Team in Training. He remains involved in both fundraising and admissions at Union College and has served in various positions on the Board of Trustees of North Country Reform Temple on Long Island, as well as the Greenvale Civic Association.
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D. – 1982
- Union College, B.A. – 1979
- New York – 1983
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District – 1984
- U.S. District Court, Southern District – 1984
- New York State Bar Association
Recent Notable Cases:
- Board of Managers of Village Mall at Hillcrest Condominium v. Banerjee (Sup. Ct. Queens County Dec. 22, 2016). Court granted summary judgment to Board, ordering unit holder to remove balcony enclosure that had been in place since 1979. Court relied on business judgment rule and on board resolution the firm assisted in drafting. Senior Partner Eric M. Goidel served as Board’s counsel, and Senior Partner David R. Brody and Counsel Brian D. Graifman litigated.
Media & Publications:
- ” Q&A : ” Accessing Complaint Documents When a Co-op Is in Litigation”, May 2017″, The Cooperator
- Director Protector Memo: “Discrimination Based Upon Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder/Sleep Disorder”, April 2017
- “Board through a legal Lens: Aging residents and preventative measures for Coops and Condos ”, January 2017, Habitat U: (Educational video).
- “The Importance of Monitoring Aging”, November 2016, Habitat Magazine
- “Q&A: Condo By-Laws”, July 2016, The Cooperator
- ” Constructive Eviction in a Cooperative Based Upon Smoke Infiltration”, March 2016, Director Protector Memo
- ” Denying Access: Consequences for Arrears and Non-Payment”, December 2015, The Cooperator
- “ Eliminating Airbnb from Your Building”, November 2015, Habitat Magazine
- ” Management/Board Relations: Who do you call?”, April 2015, The Cooperator
- “A Board Learns Why It Should Oversee Its Managing Agent”, November 2014, Habitat Magazine
- “Property Management Contracts”, November 2014, The Cooperator
- “Managing Commercial Tenants”, October 2014, The Cooperator
- “Writing the Rules”, February 2014, “The Cooperator”.
- “Flip Tax Do-Over”, August, 2013, Habitatmag.com (podcast)
- “ Pricing Tactics”, March 2013, Habitat Magazine
- “ Renovation Credit: An Innovative Solution to Make Floor Pricing Fairer”, February 2013, Habitatmag.com
- “ Weighing the Competition”, November 2012, Habitat Magazine
- “ Forbidden Pets”, November 2012, Habitat Magazine Annual Attorney Survey
- “Need to Know”, August 2012, Habitatmag.com. Click here to listen to the podcast.
- “ Evicting A Shareholder without ‘Pullman’”, November 2011, Habitat Magazine Annual Attorney Survey
- “ Condo: Any Recourse for No Heat?”, Habitat.com, March 2011
- “ Legal Lessons: Capital Work”, November 2009, Habitat Magazine
- “ Smoke Gets In Your Eyes”, November 2008, Habitat Magazine
- “ Can We Rent Our Roof?”, February 2008, Habitat Magazine
- “ Hollywood on the Hudson”, May 2004, Habitat Magazine
- “ Call Me”, April 2004, Habitat Magazine
March 16, 2016 – Partner Eric M. Goidel will present on Ethical Issues in the Practice of Real Estate: What Every Attorney Must Know When Handling a Transaction at the New York City Bar Association CLE credit program.
For further information on Director Protector, please click the image below: