David B. Cabrera
- Administrative Law
- Supreme Court Litigation
- Appellate Litigation
- Cooperative and Condominium Law
- Residential Non-Payment Proceedings
- Residential Holdover Proceedings
- Human Rights/ADA Complaints
David B. Cabrera is a senior partner and heads the firm's Administrative/Rent Regulatory Division. He has experience in all proceedings before the State Division of Housing & Community Renewal (DHCR), as well as matters before the Department of Housing, Preservation & Development, the Department of Buildings, Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings, and the Loft Board. Mr. Cabrera has over twenty-five years of real estate law experience, including eleven years with DHCR in various senior-level positions. He was DHCR's Deputy Commissioner for Housing Operations where he oversaw the State's Section 8, Mitchell-Lama and Public Housing programs. He also served DHCR as General Counsel in the Office of Legal Affairs and Deputy Counsel and Assistant Commissioner in the Office of Rent Administration and specialized in rent stabilization and rent control matters. Prior to joining the DHCR, Mr. Cabrera was in private practice specializing in real estate litigation and transactions.
- "In re Lenox Hill Apartments Inc. vs. DHCR". DHCR was directed to issue an order of deregulation where tenants changed their certified income.
- "Migliaccio v. DHCR", Mr. Cabrera's winning case was digested in an edition of Landlord v. Tenant. The article was "DHCR Must Adjust Rent-Controlled Rent Not Increased Since 1961"
- "Ten Sheridan Associates LLC v. Lillian Cohen". This case involved questions of rent calculation pursuant to a rent stabilized lease affected by the Roberts v. Tishman Speyer Properties decision.
- Vermont Law School, South Royalton, Vermont
- J.D./M.S.L - 1991
- University of Miami
- B.A. - 1987
- New York, 1992
- Connecticut, 1992
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1996
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1996
- ”Six Years After Roberts Rent-Setting Uncertainty Continues to Loom“, New York Housing Journal, September 2015
- New York State Bar Association
- Puerto Rican Bar Association
Current Employment Position
- Senior Partner
Classes & Seminars
- Presented on “What Landlords need to know about New Rent Laws”, October 2019, Hosted by New York State Association for Affordable Housing.
- Presented on “The Rent Laws of 2019: The Rent Regulations”, September 2019, Hosted by The Rent Stabilization Association
- Presented on “The Rent Laws of 2019: The Rent Regulations”, September 2019, Hosted by Community Housing Improvements Program.
- Presented on “What You Need to Know about the Tenant Harassment Laws?”, February 2018, New York County Lawyer’s Association seminar
- Presented on “Compliance and Beyond: Current Legal, Regulatory, and Practical Issues for Multifamily Properties”, November 2016, New York County Lawyer’s Association seminar
- Presented on “Updates regarding the Altman Decision”, November, 2016, Hosted by Borah Goldstein, Altschuler, Nahins & Goidel, P.C.
- Presented on “Rent Act of 2015: Summary of Changes”, September 2015, Multi Family Summit
- Presented on “High Rent Deregulation Under the Rent Act of 2015”, September 2015, Sponsored by Community Housing Improvements Program
- Lecture at “DHCR & TPU Updates”, September 2015, Small Property Owners seminar
- Presented on “Preventing Problems Before They Arise”, September 2014, Affordable Housing Management Association meeting
- Presented on “Rent Stabilization Code Amendments”, January 2014, Affordable Housing Management Association meeting