- Residential Non-Payment Proceedings
- Residential Holdover Proceedings
- Commercial Non-Payment & Holdover Proceedings
Lester J. Figueroa joined the Firm in 1984 and became a partner in 1990. Since then he has become one of the Firm's top litigators representing some of the Firm's largest clients.
Mr. Figueroa has been an active advocate of Civil Rights and Leadership Development, and in 1993, he helped to establish the Latino Civic Association of Staten Island (LCA), which works for the advancement of the more than 60,000 Latinos who live in Staten Island. Mr. Figueroa previously served as the LCA's General Counsel, Vice President and as the LCA's President. Mr. Figueroa was also a member of the Board of Directors of the American Red Cross, a position for which he was elected in 1993. In 1995, he was elected to the Board of Directors of the Puerto Rican Bar Association where he served with distinction for three years. He has spoken at numerous seminars on Landlord-Tenant and Real Estate issues.
Mr. Figueroa is also actively involved in the representation of buildings owned by the City of New York and managed under various programs such as DAMP and NEP. His many victories in cases involving issues of primary residence, lease violations and non-payment of rent in both residential and commercial settings, have earned him the respect and admiration of his fellow attorneys and Judges alike.
Lester is a community leader and has a leadership role in service to Calvary Assembly of God. Lester is motivated to giving back to the community and that same fervor and attention to service has been provided to his clients for decades. From The Courts to Calvary, Lester's compassion and winning attitude has got you covered.
Mr. Figueroa has been the lead counsel on the following important cases:
- Townhouse II LLC v. Frances Peters - (October 6, 2017) In this case argued and won by Mr. Figueroa, the Landlord was entitled to collect a surcharge from tenant after 421a tax benefits ended.
- Berezanskiy v. Daddy O's BBQ & Sports Bar (June 3, 2016) - In this commercial holdover proceeding, respondents sought a stay of execution of the warrant of eviction because they are in negotiations to buy the mortgage notes from the bank that is foreclosing on the note. The net result would have been that the respondent would have stayed in possession, without satisfying the judgment, almost $200K, while becoming the holder of the note and foreclosing on the LL. The Judge denied the OSC.
- St. Owner LP. v. Patricia Y. McQueeney - (January 16, 2014) Landlord succeeded in non-payment case where tenant refused to execute lease.
- Universidad Interamericana School of Law, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- J.D. - 1982
- Interamerican University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- B.A. - 1979
- New York, 1984
Classes & Seminars
- Partner Lester J. Figueroa, lead a four day Leadership Development and Missions conference in Guatemala City, Guatemala. Over 2000 participants attended the 5 sessions which had as its main theme “The Social and Civic Role of the Church and Other Not-For-Profit Entities in the Twenty-First Century.” June 2017.
- Partner Lester J. Figueroa was a featured speaker at New York Association of Realty Management (NYARM). The topic was “Residential & Commercial Collections/Judgment Enforcement and Holdover/Non Payment Proceedings”. February 21, 2017.
- Mr. Figueroa presented at the New York Association of Realty Management (NYARM) Expo, on the topic “Strategic Preparation for Successfully Prosecuting a Residential L&T Case”, December 6, 2016.
- Mr. Figueroa was invited to be the keynote speaker and a panelist for the Hispanic Month Celebration of the NYC Administration for Child Services (ACS), in Staten Island at the field office, October 2013.
- General Counsel, Vice President and as President, Latino Civic Association of Staten Island (LCA)
- Member of the Board of Directors, American Red Cross, 1993
- Townhouse II LLC v. Frances Peters – (October 6, 2017)
- Berezanskiy v. Daddy O’s BBQ & Sports Bar (June 3, 2016)
- St. Owner LP. v. Patricia Y. McQueeney – (January 16, 2014)
- New York County Lawyers' Association
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Puerto Rican Bar Association
- National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals
Current Employment Position
- Partner, 1990