Todd I. Nahins
- Residential Non-Payment Proceedings
- Residential Holdover Proceedings
- Commercial Non-Payment & Holdover Proceedings
Todd I. Nahins is a Senior Partner of the Firm with broad and extensive experience in both the Residential and Commercial Parts of the Civil Court of the City of New York. His litigation responsibilities include many of the Firm's most established clients. Mr. Nahins heads the Firm's Non-Payment and Holdover Division specifically relating to Manhattan cases.
Mr. Nahins has been a Faculty Member of the New York State Judicial Seminar, Jack Newton Lerner, Landlord-Tenant Institute; Guest Speaker at the New York County Lawyers' Association, New York State Bar Association, Cardozo Law School, New York University, Real Estate Program and Community Housing Improvement Program, Topics ranged from Trial Tactics in Housing Court, Bedbug Litigation, Guardian Ad Litem Representation, and Nuisance and Non-Primary Residence Litigation.
Mr. Nahins has received the highest accolade in Martindale-Hubbell given an AV rating. He has received an Award from The New York State Department of Housing Preservation and Development and was recognized for Excellence in Law by Cambridge's Who's Who. He is presently on the Board of Advisors for Apartment Law Insiders.
- 42nd & 10th Associates LLC, V. Henry Ikezi - February 18, 2015, The trial court granted the landlord a judgment of possession after a trial of this summary holdover proceeding. The landlord alleged that the use of the rent stabilized apartment as a hotel via AIRBNB was illegal and therefore the tenant had no right to cure. This was the first time a NYC housing court ruled that the violation by the tenant was not curable.
- FM United LLC v Wollin - December 22, 2014, Landlord sued to evict rent-stabilized tenant based on chronic nonpayment of rent. Tenant initially made Motion to Dismiss claiming renewal lease sent to tenant which parties breached, reinstalled tenancy. Judge denied motion, as landlord had to offer renewal under rent stabilization laws. Since there was a history of of repeated nonpayment proceedings based on chronically late payment and no question of fact, landlord could evict tenant.
- Western New England University School of Law, Springfield, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1977
- Hunter College
- B.A. - 1974
- Honors: cum laude
- New York, 1978
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1978
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1978
- Todd Nahins’ article ” The Continuing Saga of Illegal Transient Occupancy” was published in the Contributors’ Corner section of the July 2016 issue of Apartment Law Insider.
- Todd Nahins’ article, “ Owners Can Have Success Against Illegal Transient Occupancies ” was published in the attached April 2015 issue of the New “York Housing Journal”.
- Apartment Law Insider, Todd Nahins was featured in “Contributor’s Corner” for the January 9, 2014 online newsletter. Mr. Nahins wrote an article about “Avoiding HPD Fines During Extreme Cold” (Click here to view PDF of article).
- Apartment Law Insider, Todd I. Nahins was featured in “Contributor’s Corner” for the April 4, 2014 online newsletter. Todd wrote a piece about “Dealing with Delays in Housing Court” (click here to access the link).
- Apartment Law Insider, Todd I. Nahins was featured in “Contributor’s Corner” for the January 9, 2014 online newsletter. Todd wrote an article about “Avoiding HPD Fines During Extreme Cold” (Click here to view PDF of article)
- Apartment Law Insider, Todd Nahins was featured in “Contributor’s Corner” Housing Court Post-Pandemic: Plagued by Delays
- 42nd & 10th Associates LLC, V. Henry Ikezi
- FM United LLC v Wollin – December 22, 2014
Current Employment Position
- Senior Partner
Classes & Seminars
- February 10, 2016 – Mr. Nahins led a New York County Lawyers’ Association program entitled “Should I Host that Traveler? Understanding the Legal Issues Surrounding AirBnB”.
- October 20, 2015 – Partners Todd I. Nahins and Craig M. Notte presented on legal developments regarding AirBnB and short term rentals at Berdon, LLP. The event was co-sponsored by Signature Bank and ClickPay.
- October 16, 2015 – Todd I. Nahins presented at the New York County NYCLA Lawyers’ Association, Jack Newton Lerner Landlord-Tenant Practice Institute.
- January 29, 2015 – Senior Partner Todd I. Nahins presented at Real Property Law Section Landlord and Tenant Proceedings CLE Committee Meeting for the NYSBA Annual Meeting.
- Friday, September 20, 2013 – Todd Nahins, Senior Partner, participated as a Co-Chair at the New York County NYCLA Lawyers’ Association, Jack Newton Lerner Landlord-Tenant Practice Institute