David B. Cabrera
David B. Cabrera is a partner and heads the firm’s Administrative Division. He has experience in all proceedings before the State Division of Housing & Community Renewal (DHCR), as well as matters before the Department of Housing, Preservation & Development (HPD), the Environmental Control Board, the Department of Buildings (DOB), and the Loft Board. Mr. Cabrera has over twenty-five years of real estate law experience, including eleven years with DHCR in various senior positions. He was DHCR’s Deputy Commissioner for Housing Operations where he oversaw the State’s Section 8, Mitchell-Lama and Public Housing programs. He also served DHCR as General Counsel in the Office of Legal Affairs and Deputy Counsel and Assistant Commissioner in the Office of Rent Administration and specialized in rent stabilization and rent control matters. Prior to joining the DHCR, Mr. Cabrera was in private practice specializing in real estate litigation and transactions.
- Cooperative and Condominium Law
- Supreme Court Litigation
- Administrative Law
- Residential Non-Payment Proceedings
- Residential Holdover Proceedings
- Appellate Litigation
- Vermont Law School, J.D., M.S.L. – 1991
- University of Miami, B.A. – 1987
- New York – 1992
- Connecticut – 1992
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District – 1996
- U.S. District Court, Southern District – 1996
- New York State Bar Association
- Puerto Rican Bar Association
- “Migliaccio v. DHCR: Index No. 22110/13 (Sup. Ct. Kings; 6/4/25; Toussaint, J)” , Mr Cabrera’s winning case was digested in the August 2015 edition of Landlord v. Tenant. The article was “DHCR Must Adjust Rent-Controlled Rent Not Increased Since 1961”
- ” Ten Sheridan Associates LLC v. Lillian Cohen“. this case, handled and won by David Cabrera involved questions of rent calculation pursuant to a rent stabilized lease affected by the decision of Roberts v. Tishman Speyer Properties.
- The Small Property Owner’s (SPONY) June/July 2016 newsletter featured the article,” Property Owner’s Stump” , written by partner David Cabrera and associate David Napitupulu of the firm’s Administrative department.
- New York Housing Journal, September 2015 – The article ” Six Years After Roberts Rent-Setting Uncertainty Continues to Loom” featured the case ” Ten Sheridan Associates LLC v. Lillian Cohen “, which was handled and won by David Cabrera.
- Landlord v. Tenant – May 2015 digested Mr. Cabrera’s recent case in the article ” Rent-Stabilized Apartment in Co-op Building Under J-51 Subject to High-Income Deregulation”.
Client Updates and Presentation Highlights:
- ” DHCR & TPU Updates” slides which accompanied Mr. Cabrera’s presentation at the Small Property Owners Seminar on June 5, 2016.
- ” High Rent Deregulation Under the Rent Act of 2015” , slides presented at a seminar sponsored by CHIP on September 10, 2015.
- ” Rent Act of 2015: Summary of Changes” , slides used during Mr. Cabrera’s presentation at the New York Multi Family Summit on September 9th, 2015.
- The Division of Housing and Community Renewal updated the Rent Stabilization Code in January 2014. To view the summary of the updates published by Robert Goldstein and David Cabrera, please click here.
- Mr. Cabrera, along with Mr. Joseph Condon, Esq. of Community Housing Improvement Program, presented on updates regarding the Altman Decision, November, 2016
- Mr. Cabrera presented at a New York County Lawyer’s Association seminar titled “Compliance and Beyond: Current Legal, Regulatory, and Practical Issues for Multifamily Properties”, November 2016.
- June 5, 2016 – Mr. Cabrera presented on DHCR & TPU Updates” at a Small Property Owners (SPONY) Seminar.
- September 10th, Mr. Cabrera presented on ” High Rent Deregulation Under the Rent Act of 2015” at a seminar sponsored by CHIP.
- September 9th, Mr. Cabrera was a presenter “Rent Act of 2015: Summary of Changes” at Borah Goldstein’s workshop held at the Multi Family Summit.
- September 8, 2014 – David B. Cabrera was a speaker at the CHIP MCI seminar “Preventing Problems Before they Arise”. He presented on the topic of “Addressing Post-application Issues”.
- January 29, 2014 – David B. Cabrera was a speaker at the New York Affordable Housing Management Association. David presented on the new Rent Stabilization Code Amendments.
- December 11, 2013 – David B. Cabrera was a panelist in the Rent Stabilization Association seminar, “Managing Residential Housing: Effective Techniques to Sustain Rent Increases for Improvements.” David presented on “Major Capital Improvements: The New J-51 Regulations.”