Andrew I. Bart
- Supreme Court
- Appellate Litigation
- Employment Law
Andrew I. Bart, Esq. is experienced in all aspects of real estate, civil and commercial litigation from New York City Civil Court proceedings to appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit. Mr. Bart has successfully handled all facets of real estate litigation, including breach of contract actions, co-op and condominium issues, and landlord-tenant disputes. He is able to assist businesses in matters involving lease disputes, construction, and architectural issues due to his previous association with one of the premier New York City real estate law firms. Mr. Bart's background in employment law and labor relations has enabled him to have excellent communication with his clients and has made him keenly proficient in conflict management and problem solving, which allows him to successfully approach a client's case with commitment.
He is often called upon to contribute to Habitat magazine and to the New York Apartment Law Insider. He has answered reader questions in the Ask Real Estate Column of The New York Times and has been quoted in The Real Deal. His articles have been published in Museum/AAM magazine, Provider magazine, in New York State Bar Association publications, including the EASL Journal and the Labor and Employment Journal. He is a sought-after speaker and is next scheduled to conduct an employment law seminar at the American Alliance of Museums' Annual Meeting virtual meeting in 2021.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1994
- Medill School of Journalism, Northwestern University
- B.S.J. - 1991
- New York, 1995
- New Jersey, 2016
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1997
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1997
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2016
- October 2021: "RAB member buildings can enforce vaccination mandates upon local 32BJ employees"
- Boards Can Requires Employees to Get Vaccinated. Should They? Habitat Magazine (January 2021)
- Should You Require Employees to Get Vaccinated? New York Apartment Law Insider (January 2021)
- June 2020: “New Safety Rules for Co-ops and Condos in Phase Two” in Habitat Magazine
- May 2020: Habitat Magazine-“How to Avoid Discrimination Claims in the Pandemic”, https://www.habitatmag.com/Publication-Content/COVID-19/2020/2020-May/How-to-Avoid-Discrimination-Claims-in-the-Pandemic
- April 2020: Habitat Magazine-“Pandemic Leads to New Rules on Employee Sick Leave” https://www.habitatmag.com/Publication-Content/Legal-Financial/2020/2020-April/Pandemic-Leads-to-New-Rules-on-Employee-Sick-Leave
- April 2020: New York Apartment Law Insider- “Complying with Paid Leave Law During COVID Outbreak: Federal Law” https://www.apartmentlawinsider.com/blogs/andrew-i-bart/complying-paid-leave-law-during-covid-outbreak-federal-law
- March 2020: New York Apartment Law Insider-“Providing Paid Leave During COVID Outbreak: NY Law” https://www.apartmentlawinsider.com/blogs/andrew-i-bart/providing-paid-leave-during-covid-outbreak-ny-law
- December 2019: Habitat Magazine-“ What a Year It Was” [QUOTED IN ARTICLE] https://www.habitatmag.com/Archive2/372-December-2019/What-a-Year-It-Was
- September 2019: Habitat Magazine-“Add Religious Garb and Facial Hair to List of Employee Rights” https://www.habitatmag.com/Publication-Content/Board-Operations/2019/2019-September/Religious-Attire
- August 2019: Habitat Magazine-“It Just Got Easier to Claim Sexual Harassment on the Job” https://www.habitatmag.com/Publication-Content/Legal-Financial/2019/2019-August/Harassment-Laws
- June 2019: Habitat Magazine-“To Avoid Charges of Retaliation, Start Talking to Employees” https://www.habitatmag.com/Publication-Content/Board-Operations/2019/2019-June/Governance-6-18
- May 2019: Habitat Magazine-“The New Rules Never Seem to Stop Coming” https://www.habitatmag.com/Publication-Content/Board-Operations/2019/2019-May/Governance-May
- May 2019: The Real Deal: “Has #MeToo Changed Real Estate”? [QUOTED IN ARTICLE] https://therealdeal.com/issues_articles/has-metoo-changed-the-real-estate-industry/
- March 2019: Habitat Magazine-“Discrimination Against Black Hairstyles is Now Illegal” https://www.habitatmag.com/Publication-Content/Legal-Financial/2019/2019-March/Black-Hair
- February 2019: Habitat Magazine-“It’s Time to Educate Employees on Sexual Harassment” https://www.habitatmag.com/Publication-Content/Building-Operations/2019/2019-February/Governance-Harassment
- November 2018: New York Apartment Law Insider-“Final Version of NY Sexual Harassment Prevention Policies Goes into Effect” https://www.apartmentlawinsider.com/blogs/andrew-i-bart/final-version-ny-sexual-harassment-prevention-policies-goes-effect
- June 2018: New York Apartment Law Insider-“What the New Anti-Sexual Harassment Laws Mean for You” https://www.apartmentlawinsider.com/blogs/andrew-i-bart/what-new-anti-sexual-harassment-laws-mean-you
- March 2018: New York Apartment Law Insider-“New York Paid Family Leave Law: What You Need to Know” https://www.apartmentlawinsider.com/blogs/andrew-i-bart/new-york-paid-family-leave-law-what-you-need-know
- January 2018: New York Apartment Law Insider-“NYC’s Salary History Law: What You Need to Know” https://www.apartmentlawinsider.com/blogs/andrew-i-bart/nycs-salary-history-law-what-you-need-know
- June 11, 2017: Quoted in the Ask Real Estate Column of The New York Times in the segment “Creating New Windows Without Ruining the Building”
- July 17, 2016: Quoted in the Ask Real Estate Column of The New York Times in the segment “A Neighborhood Fight”
- February 21, 2016: Quoted in the Ask Real Estate Column of The New York Times in the segment “Pulling the Plug on Terrace Lights”
- September 27, 2015: Quoted in the Ask Real Estate Column of The New York Times in the segment “An Unsightly Backyard”
- June 20, 2015: Quoted in the Ask Real Estate Column of The New York Times in the segment “A Long-Running Din”
- New York City Bar Association; Member, Real Property Law Committee; Member, Litigation Subcommittee
- New York State Bar Association; Member, Real Property Law Section
- Prior member: Community Board #2 Land Use Committee, Brooklyn
Current Employment Position
Classes & Seminars
- November 2017: Andrew I Bart presented on the topic “Employment Law Compliance: What Landlords Need to Know”. This CLE event was hosted by New York County Lawyers Association and cosponsored by Community Housing Improvement Program
- May 2017: Conducted a seminar- Expansion of White Collar Overtime Eligibility: What Your Institution Needs to Know- at the American Alliance of Museum’s Annual Meeting & Museum Expo in St. Louis, Mo. The seminar focused on enabling institutions to fully understand and comply with overtime rules and keep them appraised of the status of the proposed federal expansion.
- February 2017: Conducted a version of the Works for Hire seminar for the Small Museum Association’s Annual Conference in College Park, MD.
- May 2016: Conducted a seminar- Works for Hire: Protect Your Institution’s Intellectual Property at the American Alliance of Museum’s Annual Meeting & Museum Expo in Washington, D.C. The seminar focused on the fine balancing act between retaining artistic workers who will lend creative energy to a project and guaranteeing that an institution will be able to reproduce or profit from any created works.